Butalbital- Precautions and Warnings
Butalbital is used in a compound version along with other potent drugs for providing relief from tension headaches and migraines. It is considered as a potent headache reliever; however, the drug should be used keeping in mind the precautions and warnings to get the best out of it and to save yourself from the potential harms of the same. Below written are some of the precautions and warnings that should be taken into consideration before using Butalbital:
- Butalbital should be consumed orally only.
- The drug should be taken in the prescribed- 1. Amount, 2. Way, and 3.Frequency.
- If an accidental overdose of Butalbital takes place and symptoms like vomiting, nausea, or yellowing of the skin and around the eyes occurs, seek medical help at the earliest possible.
- If the patient has any doubt regarding the presence or level of Butalbital in a certain medicine, consult the doctor or chemist before using it.
- Use of alcohol during the course of the drug should be strictly prohibited.
- If a woman gets pregnant or intends to become pregnant, or if a woman is breastfeeding than the use of Butalbital should be restricted unless prescribed otherwise.
- The drug should be stored at room temperature, away from direct sunlight, moisture, and water.
- Butalbital may cause psychological or/and physical dependence, tolerance, and addiction among users.
- Consuming more of the drug than prescribed can damage the liver severely.
- Multiple Butalbital- containing medicines should not be used together as it may cause an overdose of the drug which is fatal.
- The drug has the potential to cause a respiratory depression; therefore, all the changes and activities in the body should be monitored.
- Use of Butalbital by patients of less than 12 years of age can be deadly.